The purple basil in my AeroGarden was getting out of hand and I had to do something fast. Last night, I used a heaping fistful of it in a new recipe… lemon and basil roasted chicken. This is an EASY recipe – even for people who claim they can’t cook. Promise.
I also made roasted red potatoes with fresh rosemary. I am fortunate to have a rosemary bush that provides me with fresh rosemary year round. Not only is it tasty, but it’s beautiful, too. By the way, the potatoes are even easier to prepare than the chicken dish.
A spinach salad drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette provided me with the “green” that I crave. (Lately, I can’t get enough fresh greens, especially spinach.)
I am looking forward to leftovers tonight, as well as another fresh, crisp spinach salad!
LEMON & BASIL CHICKEN
4-5 lb whole chicken
1 medium onion, quartered
1 handful of fresh basil
6-8 cloves of garlic
2 lemons, halved
Salt & pepper
½ stick of butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean chicken and squeeze juice of one lemon over the bird.
- Sprinkle chicken, inside and out, with salt, pepper, and sage.
- Place onion, garlic, fresh basil, and halved lemons inside the cavity.
- Place cubes of butter in roasting pan/dish .
- Roast uncovered for 1.5 hours or until meat thermometer (placed in the thigh but not against the bone) reads 180 degrees.
- Baste with juices in the pan every 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with foil, and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. I let mine rest for 30 minutes.
ROASTED RED POTATOES WITH FRESH ROSEMARY
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
Coarse Sea Salt
- Cut the potatoes into chunks and toss into baking dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes until you have enough to coat them completely.
- Strip rosemary leaves and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Add sea salt to taste.
- Stir until potatoes are coated with olive oil.
- Place in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.